- (transitive) To receive, especially with a consent, with favour or with approval.
- She accepted of a treat. - Joseph Addison
- The Lord thy burnt sacrifice. - Psalms 20:3
- (transitive) To receive or admit to; to agree to; to assent to; to submit to; as, I accept your proposal, amendment, or excuse.
- (transitive) To endure patiently.
- I accept my punishment.
- (transitive) (commerce) To agree to pay.
- (transitive) To receive officially; as, to accept the report of a committee.
- (obsolete) Accepted.
Etymology: From accepter, or from acceptare, frequentative of accipere, formed from ad- + capere "to take".
- Pass our accept and peremptory answer. - Shakespeare: Henry V, V-ii
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for accept for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of accept