- A miscarriage; an untimely birth; an abortion.
- The product of a miscarriage; an aborted offspring; an abortion.
- Note: As with the more modern "abortion" this can refer either to the process or the result of the process.
- (computing) The function used to abort a process.
- (computing) An event involving the abort of a process.
- We've had three aborts over the last two days.
- (military) An early termination of a mission.
- We've had aborts on three of our last seven launches.
Etymology: From abortus, past participle of aboriri "to miscarry", formed from ab- + oriri "to come into being".
- (intransitive) To miscarry; to bring forth something prematurely.
- (transitive) To cause a premature termination whether of a foetus or more generally of anything that has been begun.
- (intransitive, biology) To become checked in normal development, so as either to remain rudimentary or shrink away wholly; to become sterile.
- (transitive, computing) To terminate a process prior to completion.
- (military) To terminate a mission for any reason other than enemy action. It may occur at any point after the beginning of the mission and prior to its completion.
- (rfd-redundant, included in mil sense) (aviation, military) To discontinue aircraft takeoff or missile launch.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for abort for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of abort