Etymology: Old English fana
- (countable) A weather vane.
- Any of several usually relatively thin, rigid, flat, or sometimes curved surfaces radially mounted along an axis, as a blade in a w:turbine, turbine or a sail on a windmill, that is turned by or used to turn a fluid.
- The flattened, weblike part of a feather, consisting of a series of barbs on either side of the shaft.
- A sight on a w:sextant, sextant or compass.
- One of the metal guidance or stabilizing fins attached to the tail of a bomb or other missile.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for vane for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of vane