verb (trop, ed)
- A figure of speech, such as a metaphor, in which a word or phrase is used other than in a literal manner
- (music) A short cadence at the end of the melody in some early music
- (music) A phrase or verse added to the mass when sung by a choir
- (Judaism) A cantillation
- (literature) Something recurring across a genre or type of literature, such as the 'mad scientist' of horror or 'once upon a time' introduction to fairytales. Similar to a Cliché, but is not necessarily pejorative.
- To use, or embellish something with a trope
- < Latin tropus < Ancient Greek
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for trope for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of trope