- A person who is suspected of something, in particular of committing a crime.
- Round up the usual suspects. — Casablanca
- (transitive)To imagine or suppose (something) to be true without evidence.
- I suspect his theory.
- (transitive)To distrust or have doubts about (something or someone).
- I suspect him of lying.
- (transitive)To believe (someone) to be guilty without proof.
- If you asked me who the thief is, I would him.
- (intransitive) To have suspicion.
- To be viewed with suspicion.
Etymology: suspectus, perfect passive participle of suspicere, from sus-, combining form of subLatin, sub, under, + spicere, to appear.
- The figures in these accounts look suspect — I think someone has been cook the books, cooking the books.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for suspect for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of suspect