- (biochemistry) The material or substance on which an enzyme acts.
- (biology) A surface on which an organism grows or is attached e.g. the rock surface of a rockpool is the substrate for a sessile organism such as a limpet.
- An underlying layer; a substratum.
- (context, linguistics) An indigenous language that contributes features to the language of an invading people who impose their language on the indigenous population.
- (context, plating) A metal which is plated with another metal which has different physical properties.
- (context, construction) A surface to which a substance adheres.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for substrate for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of substrate