noun (plural staccatos or staccati)
- (music) An articulation marking directing that a note or passage of notes are to be played in an abruptly disconnected manner, with each note sounding for a very short duration, and a short break lasting until the sounding of the next note; as opposed to legato. Staccato is indicated by a dot directly above or below the notehead.
- (music) A passage having this mark.
- (music) describing a passage having this mark
- (music) played in this style
Etymology: Borrowed from staccato, past participle of staccare, meaning "to separate"
- Now, play the same passage very .
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for staccato for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of staccato