verb (shrives, shriving, shrove, shriven)
- (transitive and intransitive) To hear or receive a confession (of sins etc.)
- (transitive) To prescribe penance or absolution
- (intransitive or reflexive) To confess, and receive absolution
Etymology: Old English scrifan, scrÄfan, from West Germanic
- "Twas a good thought, boy, to come here and ", - The Croppy Boy, trad Irish song.
- skrÄban, from Latin scribere "write". Cognate with Dutch schrijven, German schreiben; and (from Latin) with French écrire, Spanish escribir.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shrive for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of shrive