- A small mammal, related to the marten of Eurasia and North Pacific Islands. Taxonomic name: Martes zibellina.
- The marten. Taxonomic name: Mustela americana.
- A coat made from the fur of the sable.
- 1928, w:Virginia Woolf, Virginia Woolf, w:Orlando:_A_Biography, Orlando:
- :Lovers dallied upon divans spread with sables.
- An artist's brush made from the fur of the sable.
- (tincture): A black colour on a coat of arms.
- (colour) a black colour, like that of sable fur.
- <table><tr><td>sable colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- 394243" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- (colour) of a black colour, like that of sable fur.
Etymology: From Old French martre sable "sable marten", an animal (see below). Possibly from an Old Slavonic word; compare with Russian ÑÑ.
- 2002, Christopher Paolini, Eragon, ch 3
- :They wound between the wagons to a tent removed from the rest of the traders'. It was crimson at the top and at the bottom, with thin triangles of colors stabbing into each other.
- (tincture): In blazon, of the colour black.
- Made of sable fur.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sable for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of sable