- A part or parts remain, remaining after some has/have been removed.
Etymology: remain + d + -er
- My son ate part of his cake and I ate the remainder.
- You can have the remainder of my clothes.
- (commerce) Items left unsold and subject to reduction in price.
- I got a really good price on this shirt because it was a remainder.
- (mathematics) The amount left over after subtracting the divisor as many times as possible from the dividend without producing a negative result. If (dividend) and d (divisor) are integers, then can always be expressed in the form n = dq + r, where q (quotation) and r () are also integers, and 0 ≤ r < d.
- 17 leaves a remainder of 2 when divided by 3.
- 11 divided by 2 is 5 remainder 1.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for remainder for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of remainder