verb (refer, r, ed)
- (transitive) To direct to a source for help or information.
- The shop assistant referred me to the help desk on ground floor.
- (transitive) To submit to an authority figure for consideration.
- (transitive) To direct the attention of.
- (context, intransitive, construed with to) To allude to, make a reference or allusion to.
- From (term, referren, lang=enm), from (term, referer, lang=fro), from (term, referre, lang=la), from (term, re-, lang=la) + (term, ferre, , to carry or bear, lang=la); see bher- in Indo-European Roots.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for refer for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of refer