- A person not adhering to any major or recognized religion, especially a heathen or non-Christian (often derogatory).
- (by extension) An uncivilized or unsocialized person, especially of children.
- A follower of a pantheistic or nature-worshipping religion, a neopagan.
- This community has a surprising number of pagans.
- Relating to, characteristic of or adhering to religions other than Christianity.
Etymology: From paganus, "peasant, rural, rustic", later "civilian". The meaning "non-Christian" arose in Vulgar Latin, probably from the 4th century. It is unclear whether this usage is derived primarily from the "rustic" or from the "civilian" meaning. English usage from the 15th century. As a self-designation of neopagans attested since 1990.
- Many societies kept their deities in the form of saints.
- (by extension) Immoral, uncivilized, savage.
- Pantheistic or nature-worshipping, neopagan.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pagan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of pagan