- Any marine bivalve mollusk of the Family Ostreidae, usually found adhering to rocks or other fixed objects in shallow water along the seacoasts, or in brackish water in the mouth of rivers.
- A name popularly given to the delicate morsel of dark meat contained in a small cavity of the bone on each side of the lower part of the back of a fowl.
- (color) a pale beige colour tinted with grey or pink, like that of an oyster.
- <table><tr><td>oyster colour: </td><td bgcolor="
- DADFB7" width="80"> </td></tr></table>
- (slang) A person who keeps the secrets trusted to him,
Etymology: ostre, from ostrea; reinforced or superceded in Middle English by Anglo-Norman oistre, oistre, uistre (modern French huítre), from ostrea, from Ancient Greek (polytonic, á) (related to (polytonic, á) "bone", (polytonic, á) "shell").
- (color) of a pale beige colour tinted with grey or pink, like that of an oyster.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for oyster for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of oyster