verb (overlays, overlaying, overlaid)
- (printing) A piece of paper pasted upon the tympan sheet to improve the impression by making it stronger at a particular place.
- (betting) Odds which are set higher than expected or warranted. Favorable odds.
- (horse racing) A horse going off at higher odds than it appears to warrant, based on its past performances.
Etymology: over + lay (cf. overlie)
- (transitive) To lay, or spread, something over or across; to cover.
- To overwhelm; to press excessively upon.
- (transitive) To smother with a close covering, or by lying upon.
- (transitive) (printing) To put an overlay
- Noun, overlay on.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for overlay for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of overlay