noun (pl=nuclei, pl2=nucleuses)
- (context, chemistry, physics) The massive, positively charged central part of an atom made up of protons and neutrons.
- (cytology) A large organelle found in cells which contains genetic material.
- The central part (of something), round which others are collected.
- An initial part that will receive additions.
Etymology: From (term, nucleus, , kernel, lang=la) derived from (term, nux, , nut, lang=la).
- This collection will form the of a new library.
- (neuroanatomy) A cluster of many neuronal bodies where synapsing occurs.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for nucleus for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of nucleus