Etymology: Tagalog Maynila < may nilad ("there is nilad," a kind of flowering plant) once found in the low-lying banks of the Pasig River, probably under influence via Spanish from Arabic (ARchar, ÙÙ, ÙÙ ÙÙÙ) ("amÄn AllÄh, God"s protection).
- The capital of the Philippines, located on the island of Luzon.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Manila for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Manila
- fiber made from abaca (Manila hemp), used to make ropes and manila paper
- the yellow-brown colour of manila
- Of or pertaining to Manila or Manilla, the capital of the Philippine Islands; made in, or exported from, that city.
- made of manila paper or material like it
- a manila envelope
- yellow-brown; colored like manila paper
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for manila for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of manila