verb (machet, ing)
- A sword-like tool used for cutting large plants with a chopping motion. A machete's blade is usually 50 to 65 centimeters (cm) long, and up to three millimeters (mm) thick.
- To cut or chop with a machete.
Etymology: Probably from Spanish macho, meaning "sledgehammer"
- After some hours of intense work, we had macheted a path through the jungle to the bank of the river.
- To hack or chop crudely with a blade other than a machete.
- You can't just about with a rapier and expect to succeed; you need to thrust properly.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for machete for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of machete