- lay person, someone who is not an ordained cleric or member of the clergy
- by analogy, someone who is not a professional in a given field
- Carmen is not a professional anthropologist, but strictly a .
- a common person
- a person who is untrained or lacks knowledge of a subject
Etymology: From lay, ultimately from Greek (people), + man.
- 2005, w:Plato, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. w:Stephanus pagination, 221d.
- : should he be held to be just a , or does he have some art?
- a generally ignorant person
- lay-sister or lay-brother, person received into a convent of monks, following the vows, but not being member of the order
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for layman for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of layman