- An act of jolting.
- A surprise or shock.
- (transitive) To push or shake abruptly and roughly.
Etymology: Maybe from jollen.
- The bus jolted its passengers.
- (transitive) To knock sharply; to deal a blow to.
- (transitive) To shock (someone) into taking action or being alert; as, to jolt someone out of complacency
- (transitive) To shock emotionally.
- Her untimely death jolted us all.
- (intransitive) To shake; to move with a series of jerks.
- The bus jolted along the stony path.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for jolt for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of jolt