- An evil spirit supposed to oppress people while asleep, especially to have sex with women as they sleep.
- A feeling of oppression during sleep; night terrors, a nightmare.
- Any oppressive thing or person; a burden.
- (insect) One of a genus of parasitic insects.
Etymology: From Late Latin incubus < incubo "nightmare, one who lies down on the sleeper" < incubare "to lie upon, to hatch" < in- "on" + cubare "to lie" < Proto-Indo-European base
- keu(b)- "to bend, to turn".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for incubus for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of incubus