verb (hovels, hoveling, hoveled)
- An open shed for sheltering cattle, or protecting produce, etc., from the weather.
- A poor cottage; a small, mean house; a hut.
- In the manufacture of porcelain, a large, conical brick structure around which the firing kilns are grouped.
- (transitive) To put in a hovel; to shelter.
Etymology: Likely a diminutive form of the Anglo-Saxon hof, or house.
- To thee with swine, and rogues forlon. -- Shakespeare
- The poor are hoveled and hustled together. -- Tennyson
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hovel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of hovel