- a hoisting device, such as pulley or crane.
- the perpendicular height of a flag, as opposed to the fly, or horizontal length, when flying from a staff.
- the vertical edge of a flag which is next to the staff.
- the height of a fore-and-aft sail, next the mast or stay.
- (transitive) to raise; to lift; to elevate; especially, to raise or lift to a desired elevation, by means of tackle or pulley, as a sail, a flag, a heavy package or weight.
Etymology: Alteration of hoise, apparently based on the past tense and participle.
- 1719: w:Daniel Defoe, Daniel Defoe, w:Robinson Crusoe, Robinson Crusoe
- : ...but this last was so heavy, I could not it up to get it over the ship's side.
- (context, transitive, historical) to lift someone up to be flogged
- (intransitive) to be lifted up
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hoist for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of hoist