- (context, usually, pejorative) an employee who is hired, often to perform unpleasant tasks with little independence
- 1848: William Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair
- :When my poor James was in the smallpox, did I allow any to nurse him?
- (context, usually, pejorative) someone who does a job purely for money, rather than out of interest in the work itself
- 1605: Francis Bacon, The Advancement of Learning
- :... it may be truly affirmed that no kind of men love business for itself but those that are learned; for other persons love it for profit, as a that loves the work for the wages;
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hireling for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of hireling