noun (hiatus, pl2=hiatuses)
- A break or pause.
- A gap in a series, making it incomplete.
Etymology: (term, hiatusLatin, hiatus)
- A syllable break between two vowels, without an intervening consonant. (Compare diphthong.)
- The condition of having such a break.
- Words like reality and naí¯ve contain vowels in hiatus.
- A gap in geological strata.
- A fissure in a bone.
- A small difference in pitch between two musical tones.
- A vacation.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for hiatus for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of hiatus