- (context, US, slang, pejorative) A person of Italian or Spanish descent.
- A gold coin originally worth twenty shillings and minted for use in England's trade with Africa; later (from 1717 until the adoption of decimal currency) standardised at a value of twenty-one shillings.
Etymology: From Guinea, the country in West Africa.The name comes from the Berber term "aginaw" via Portuguese; it originally meant "black" (or, in context, "land of the blacks.")
- 1883: w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson, w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island
- : English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Georges, and Louises, doubloons and double guineas and moidores and sequins, the pictures of all the kings of Europe for the last hundred years, strange Oriental pieces stamped with what looked like wisps of string or bits of spider's web, round pieces and square pieces, and pieces bored through the middle, as if to wear them round your neck"nearly every variety of money in the world must, I think, have found a place in that collection...
- a ground-foraging bird of Africa, of the family Numididea. Domesticated strains include Pearl, White, Buff, Blue, Purple and Lavender. Also called guinea fowl.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for guinea for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of guinea