verb (girdl, ing)
- That which girds, encircles, or encloses; a circumference
- A belt; especially, a belt, sash, or article of dress encircling the body usually at the waist, often used to support stockings or hosiery.
- The zodiac; also, the equator.
- The line of greatest circumference of a w:Diamond cut, brilliant-cut diamond, at which it is grasped by the setting.
- A thin bed or stratum of stone.
- The clitellus of an earthworm.
- A griddle.
Etymology: Old English gyrdel
- (transitive) To gird, encircle, or constrain by such means.
- (transitive) To kill or stunt a tree by removing or inverting a ring of bark.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for girdle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of girdle