- That part of a country which fronts or faces another country or an unsettled region; the marches; the border, confine, or extreme part of a country, bordering on another country; the border of the settled and cultivated part of a country; as, the frontier of civilization.
- 1940 "The was not a line, but a district where thieving Scot and thieving Englishman had sufficient liberty for roving forays." W K Hancock. Survey of Commenwealth affairs Vol II part I p.3.
- 1979 "Unlike a boundary, which evokes the image of a line on a map and demarcates spheres of political control, the is an area where colonisation is taking place....no authority is recognised as legitimate by all parties or is able to excersise undisputed control over the area." The shaping of South African Society, 1652 - 1820. Eds. Richard Elphic and Hermann Guilomee. Longman p. 297.
- Lying on the exterior part; bordering; conterminous.
Etymology: From fronter, from front.
- a town
- Of or relating to a frontier.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for frontier for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of frontier