- (transitive) To study a dead animal's anatomy by cutting it apart; to perform a necropsy or an autopsy.
- (transitive) To study a plant or other organism's anatomy similarly.
- (transitive) To analyze an idea in detail by separating it into its parts.
- (context, transitive, anatomy, surgery) To separate muscles, organs, and so on without cutting into them or disrupting their architecture.
- Now the triceps away from its attachment on the humerus.
- (context, transitive, pathology) Of an infection or foreign material, following the fascia separating muscles or other organs.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for dissect for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of dissect