verb (discours, ing)
- (context, uncountable, archaic) Verbal exchange, conversation.
- (uncountable) verbal, Verbal expression, either in speech or writing.
- (countable) A formal lengthy exposition of some subject, either spoken or written.
- (context, social sciences, countable) An institutionalized way of thinking, a social boundary defining what can be said about a specific topic (after w:Michel Foucault, Michel Foucault).
Etymology: From discours, from discursus.
- (intransitive) To engage in discussion or conversation; to converse.
- (intransitive) To write or speak formally and at length.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for discourse for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of discourse