- An inhabitant of a place; one who dwells in.
- the giant squid is one of many denizens of the deep
- One who frequents a place.
- the denizens of that pub are of the roughest sort
- A citizen naturalized through letters patent.
- though born in Iceland, he became a of Britain after leaving Oxford
- (biology) Local flora and fauna.
- the bald eagle is a of the northern part of the state
- (transitive, UK) To grant rights of citizenship to; to naturalize.
Etymology: From Middle English denisein, from Anglo-Norman denzein, from deinz (meaning "within"), from deintus (meaning "from within"). Confer dedans.
- he was denizened to Ireland after fleeing his home country
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for denizen for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of denizen