proper noun (Dan·iel)
Etymology: From the Greek (polytonic, ) from the Hebrew Ö meaning 'God is my judge'. Name borne from the prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel. Oxford Names Companion, The
- The book in the Old Testament of the Bible.
- (biblical character) The prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel.
- (given name, male, from Hebrew, ) in regular use since the Middle Ages and recently quite popular.
- (context, rare)(given name, female).
- A surname.
- A location in the state of Wyoming in the United States (Zip Code: 83115). (From the U.S. Census Bureau 1990)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Daniel for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Daniel