proper noun (wikipedia, Crater (constellation))
Etymology: crater, a "basin" or "cup" < Ancient Greek (krater) "mixingbowl, wassail-bowl"
- (constellation): A dim spring constellation of the northern sky, said to resemble a cup. It lies between the constellations Virgo and Hydra.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Crater for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Crater
- (astronomy): A hemispherical pit created by the impact of a meteor or other object.
- (geology): The basinlike opening or mouth of a volcano, through which the chief eruption comes; similarly, the mouth of a geyser, about which a cone of silica is often built up.
- The pit left by the explosion of a mine or bomb.
- (snowboarding) To crash or fall.
- He cratered into that snow bank about five seconds after his first lesson.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for crater for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of crater