- Primarily, a place of standing or staying together; hence, any solemn assembly or council.
- The spiritual court of a diocesan bishop held before his chancellor or commissioner in his cathedral church or elsewhere.
- An assembly of prelates; a session of the college of cardinals at Rome.
- A church tribunal or governing body.
- (obsolete) A civil court of justice.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for consistory for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of consistory