- A woman who lives with a man, but who is not a wife.
- A slave-girl for sexual service prominent in all ancient cultures.
- Signifies a relationship where the male is the dominant partner, socially and economically
- A woman attached to a man solely for reproduction, and who cares for the resulting children without any romantic relationship
Etymology: Origin: 1250"1300; ME (< AF) < L concubÄna, equiv. to concub- (var. s. of concumbere to lie together; see con-, incumbent) + -Äna fem. suffix.
- (esp. formerly in Muslim societies) a woman residing in a harem and kept, as by a sultan, for sexual purposes. <ref>Random House Unabridged Dictionary</ref>
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for concubine for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of concubine