- The Commonwealth of Nations, a loose confederation of nations based around the former British Empire.
- Mozambique joined the in 1995, although it had not been a part of the British Empire.
- As a citizen, you are eligible to vote in United Kingdom elections.
- The Commonwealth of Australia, often referring to the federal government of Australia.
- Mr. Martin was found guilty of defrauding the by making false welfare claims.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Commonwealth for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Commonwealth
- A form of government, named for the concept that everything that is not owned by specific individuals or groups is owned collectively by everyone in the governmental unit, as opposed to a state, where the state itself owns such things.
- Approximately, a republic.
Etymology: common + wealth
- May 19, 1649 Be it declared and enacted by this present Parliament and by the Authoritie of the same That the People of England and of all the Dominions and Territoryes thereunto belonging are and shall be and are hereby constituted, made, established, and confirmed to be a Commonwealth and free state, free State And shall from henceforth be Governed as a Commonwealth and Free State by the supreame Authoritie of this Nation, the Representatives of the People in Parliament and by such as they shall appoint and constitute as Officers and Ministers under them for the good of the People and that without any King or House of Lords. s:An Act declaring England to be a Commonwealth, Act of the Long Parliament.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for commonwealth for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of commonwealth