- A bivalve mollusk of many kinds, especially those that are edible; as, the long clam (Mya arenaria), the quahog or round clam (Venus mercenaria), the sea clam or hen clam (Spisula solidissima), and other species of the United States. The name is said to have been given originally to the Tridacna gigas, a huge East Indian bivalve.
- Strong pincers or forceps.
- A kind of vise, usually of wood.
- (context, US, slang) A dollar (usually used in the plural.)
verb (clam, m, ing)
- Those sneakers cost me fify clams!
- To dig for clams.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for clam for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of clam