- (context, informal, uncountable) chewing tobacco, Chewing tobacco.
- When the doctor told him to quit smoking, Harvey switched to , but then developed cancer of the mouth.
- (countable) A plug or wad of chewing tobacco.
- My uncle's way to convince us not to use tobacco was to give us each a big , and then get us to swallow it.
- (context, nonstandard) Nonstandard spelling of chew; to grind with the teeth; to masticate, as food in eating; to chew, as the cud; to champ, as the bit.
- 1884, s:Mark Twain, Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain), s:The_Adventures_of_Huckleberry_Finn/Chapter_XXIX, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- :...the king he set down and twisted his head to one side, and chawed his tongue, and scrawled off something...
- (context, UK, slang) To steal.
- ...some pikey's chawed my bike.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for chaw for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of chaw