- (politics) An candidate who runs in a district where he or she has not previously held residence.
- Though he lived and worked in Los Angeles for sixteen years, the candidate for Attorney General is no ; he was born and raised in this state and graduated from the state university.
- (context, often capitalized) One of several Northern politicians who migrated to the South during Reconstruction and held public office.
- (context, pejorative) By extension, a Northern with no Southern ties who migrates to the South for work.
- He's just a who was surprised to find that Southerns are not like the cast of The Dukes of Hazzard or Deliverance.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for carpetbagger for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of carpetbagger