verb (braids, braiding, braided, braided or obsolete browden)
- A weave of three of more strands of fibers, ribbons, cords or hair often for decoration.
- (obsolete) (transitive) To make a sudden movement with, to jerk.
- (archaic) (intransitive) To start into motion.
Etymology: Old English bregdan, breÄdan, from Germanic
- Late C14: For verray wo out of his wit he breyde. " Geoffrey Chaucer, "The Franklin's Tale", Canterbury Tales
- (transitive) To weave together, intertwine (strands of fibers, ribbons, etc.); to arrange (hair) in braids.
- bregdan. Cognate with Dutch breien.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for braid for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of braid