Etymology: Borrowed from the French < Old French burgeis (town dweller) < borc (town) < Frankish
- of or related to middle class attitudes and conventions.
- belonging to the middle class.
- of, or related to capitalist exploitation of the working class.
- burg < Proto-Germanic
- burgs (fortress) < Proto-Indo-European
- bhrgh (fortified elevation).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bourgeois for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bourgeois