proper noun (Bibles)
- The Christian holy book.
- The Jewish holy book that was largely incorporated into the Christian Bible.
- The analogous holy book of another religion.
- A specific version, edition, translation, or copy of any of the above.
- (context, disputed usage) Biblical
Etymology: See bibleEtymology, bible.
- Since times, Israel has had many enemies.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Bible for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of Bible
Etymology: biblia "a collection of books" (since there are many books in the Bible) < Ancient Greek (polytonic, ), (biblia) "books", plural of (polytonic, ) (biblion) "book", originally a diminutive of (polytonic, ) (biblos) < (polytonic, ) (bublos) "papyrus" (from the ancient Phoenician city of Byblos which exported this writing material)
- A comprehensive manual that describes something. (e.g., handyman"s bible).
- (nautical) A holystone.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for bible for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of bible