- A tool for felling trees or chopping wood etc. consisting of a heavy head flattened to a blade on one side, and a handle attached to it.
- An ancient weapon consisting of a head that has one or two blades and a long handle.
- (colloquial) A dismissal or rejection.
verb (ax, ing)
- His girlfriend/boss/schoolmaster gave him the .
- (transitive) To fell or chop with an axe.
- (transitive) To terminate or reduce tremendously in a rough or ruthless manner.
- The government announced its plans to public spending.
- The broadcaster axed the series because far less people than expected watched it.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for axe for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of axe