- An inhabitant of the Americas. More often this is specified as either North American, Central American or South American.
- A person born in, or a citizen of, the United States of America.
- (rare) The English language as spoken in the USA; American English.
- 1942, We sat down in the central square and drank coffee and a man came up and spoke to us in . " Rebecca West, Black Lamb and Grey Falcon (Canongate 2006, p. 756)
Etymology: From Modified Latin Americanus (America from Latinized name of Amerigo Vespucci, Italian navigator of 1512).
- Of or pertaining to the United States of America, or w:Culture of the United States, American culture
- Of or pertaining to the Americas. More often this is specified as either "North American" or "South American."
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for American for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of American