- An island in a river, especially the River Thames in England.
- 1833, w:Johann_Wolfgang_von_Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Autobiography: Truth and Fiction Relating to My Life trans. John Oxenford, book 9,
- :Striking richness of vegetation which follows in the windings of the Rhine, marks its banks, islands, and aits.
- 1853, w:Charles_Dickens, Charles Dickens, Bleak House, ch. 1,
- :Fog everywhere. Fog up the river, where it flows among green aits and meadows.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for ait for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of ait