- (uncountable) The act of accelerating, or the state of being accelerated; increase of motion or action; as opposed to retardation or deceleration.
- a falling body moves toward the earth with an of velocity
- (countable) The amount by which a speed or velocity increases (and so a scalar quantity or a vector quantity).
- The boosters produce an acceleration of 20 metres per second per second.
- :A period of social improvement, or of intellectual advancement, contains within itself a principle of — I. Taylor
- (physics) The change of velocity with respect to time (can include deceleration or changing direction).
- Latin acceleratio; compare French accélération
- accelerate + -tion
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for acceleration for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of acceleration