- Anything which absorbs.
- The ocean, itself a bad of heat. " w:Charles_Darwin, Charles Darwin
- (context, medicine) Any substance which absorbs and neutralizes acid fluid in the stomach and bowels, as magnesia, chalk, etc.; also a substance, e.g., iodine, which acts on the absorbent vessels so as to reduce enlarged and indurated parts.
- (context, physiology, pluralized) The vessels by which the processes of absorption are carried on, as the lymphatics in animals, the extremities of the roots in plants.
- Absorbing; swallowing; absorptive.
Etymology: Latin absorbens, past preterite of absorbere.
- Those paper towels were amazingly . That was quite a spill.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for absorbent for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Full Definition of absorbent