- The water held back by a dam or other obstruction
- a remote place; somewhere that remains unaffected by new events, progresses, ideas, etc.
- It's fun to explore the backwaters of Wiktionary and seeing what messes we find when we get there.
- A rowing stroke in which the oar is pushed forward to stop the boat; see back water
- To row or paddle a backwater stroke.
- To vacillate on a long-held position.
noun (not used in the plural)
- (fluid dynamics) In a flowing fluid, the occurrence of what is stated by Bernoulli's principle.