- An abrupt rapping sound, as from an impact of a hard object against wood
#:I heard a knock on my door.
- An impact.
#:He took a knock on the head.
- rfv-sense the act of hitting a tennis ball with a partner for warm up purposes
- cricket a batsman's innings.
#: He played a slow but sure knock of 35.
trans-top|an abrupt rapping sound
Dutch: t+|nl|kloppen|n, t+|nl|aankloppen|n
German: Klopfen n
Swedish: knackning c
Dutch: klap m
French: coup m(1)
Portuguese: batida f
- To rap one's knuckles against something, especially wood.
#:Knock on the door and find out if they're home.
- To bump or impact.
#:I knocked against the table and bruised my leg.
- rfv-sense To hit a tennis ball with a practice partner to warm up before a match.
- colloquial To denigrate, undervalue.
#:Don't knock it until you've tried it.
- rfv-sense colloquial To feature a loud bass section.
trans-top|to rap one's knuckles against something
Dutch: kloppen, aankloppen
Slovenian: potrkati, trkati
trans-top|to bump or impact
Norwegian: t|no|stÃ¸te, t+|no|slÃ¥, t|no|dunke
Swedish: stÃ¶ta emot, slÃ¥ emot
ttbc|Indonesian: ketuk, bentur
knock for a loop
knock it off
knock one's socks off
school of hard knocks