- slang: A person's leg.
- A collective noun used to refer to a group of whales; A pod.
#*1862, Henry Theodore Cheever, The Whalemen's Adventures in the Southern Ocean, Darton & Hodge, page 116.
#*:Upon getting into a "gam" of whales, this boat, together with that of one of the mates, pulled for a single whale that was seen at a distance from the others, and succeeded in getting square up to their victim unperceived.
- context|by extension a social gathering of whalers or other ships.
#* 1851, Herman Melville, Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, Harper and Brothers, [http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Moby-Dick/Chapter_53| chapter 53].
#*: But what is a Gam? You might wear out your index-finger running up and down the columns of dictionaries, and never find the word, Dr. Johnson never attained to that erudition; Noah Websterâ€™s ark does not hold it. Nevertheless, this same expressive word has now for many years been in constant use among some fifteen thousand true born Yankees. Certainly, it needs a definition, and should be incorporated into the Lexicon. With that view, let me learnedly define it. Gam. NOUNâ€”A social meeting of two (or more) Whaleships, generally on a cruising-ground; when, after exchanging hails, they exchange visits by boatsâ€™ crews, the two captains remaining, for the time, on board of one ship, and the two chief mates on the other.
- nautical to make a social visit on another ship at sea
- (Wahlubal) hair of the head
- sv-birds a vulture or condor; scavenging birds living in Africa, Europe, Asia and America
- sv-colloquial someone who takes advantage of a demise or a bankruptcy, usually in a legal, but, for the affected people, offensive way
#:Innan konkurshandlingarna ens var undertecknade samlades gamarna i verkstaden fÃ¶r att se vad som var vÃ¤rt att sÃ¤lja vidare