AHD|bÄ, IPA|/beÉª/, SAMPA|/beI/
From OF. baie, from L. baca.
- obsolete A berry.
- A shrub of the family Lauraceae, having dark green leaves and berries.
- The leaf of this shrub, used as a herb.
bay laurel, Grecian laurel, laurel, sweet bay, true laurel
German: Lorbeer m
Italian: alloro m
Norwegian: laurbÃ¦r m
Russian: Ð»Ð°Ð²Ñ m
German: Lorbeerblatt n, Lorbeer m
Italian: alloro m
Japanese: ææ¡ (ãã£ãã gekkei)
Norwegian: laurbÃ¦rblad n
Russian: Ð»Ð°Ð²ÑÐ¾Ð²ÑÐ¹ Ð»Ð¸ÑÑ m (literally bay leaf)
bay rum tree
From F. baie, from LL. baia.
- geography A body of water (especially the sea) more or less three-quarters surrounded by land.
trans-top|body of water
Bosnian: zaliv#Bosnian|zaliv m
Catalan: badia f
Chinese: æµ·æ¹¾ (hÇi wÄn)
Czech: zÃ¡liv m, zÃ¡toka f
Dutch: baai f
French: baie f
German: Golf#German|Golf m, Bucht f
Greek: ÎºÏÎ»ÏÎ¿Ï m (kólpos)
Italian: baia f, golfo#Italian|golfo m
Japanese: æ¹¾ (wan)
Maltese: bajja, qala
Norwegian: bukt f
Polish: zatoka f
Russian: Ð·Ð°Ð»Ð¸Ð² m
:Cyrillic: Ð·Ð°Ð»Ð¸Ð²#Serbian|Ð·Ð°Ð»Ð¸Ð² m
:Latin: zaliv#Serbian|zaliv m
Slovene: zaliv m
Spanish: bahÃa f
Swedish: bukt c, golf c
(body of water): gulf
From F. baie, from OF. baÃ©e, from baer, from L. badare âto be openâ.
- An opening in a wall, especially between two columns.
- An internal recess; a compartment or area surrounded on three sides.
- The distance between two supports in a vault.
- nautical Each of the spaces, port and starboard, between decks, forward of the bitts, in sailing warships.
- rail transport A bay platform.
French: compartiment m, baie f
Russian: Ð¾ÑÑÐµÐº m
trans-top|distance between two supports in a vault
Portuguese: tramo m
From OF. #Old French|bay, combined with apheticised form of abay; verbal form OF. bayer, abayer.
- The excited barking of dogs when hunting or being attacked.
- context|by extension The climactic confrontation between hunting-dogs and their prey.
keep at bay
- intransitive To bark.
- transitive To bark at.
- transitive To pursue noisily, like a pack of hounds.
bay at the moon
From F. baie, from L. badius.
- colour Of a reddish-brown colour (especially of horses).
- colour A brown colour/color of the coat of some horses.
#:<table><tr><td>bay colour: </td><td bgcolor"#6F4E37" width"80"> </td></tr></table>
Japanese: èµ¤è¤è² (ãããã£ããã sekikasshoku)
Translations to be checked
w:Headlands_and_bays|Wikipedia article on bays in geography
w:Bay_(color)|Wikipedia article on bay, the horse colour/color
Category:Spices and Herbs
Category:Crimean Tatar adjectives